• english.alarabiya.net

    Eighteen suspects in Jamal Khashoggi case ‘tried to stage death cover-up’

    The Saudi prosecutor said on Friday that an investigation showed the death of Saudi national Jamal Khashoggi was a result of a physical altercation at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul two weeks ago. There are now 18 suspects, all of Saudi nationality, currently in custody and accused of masterminding the killing and attempting to cover it up.

  • english.alarabiya.net

    US sanctions drive Iran to cut off Internet access, replace Apps

    The Head of Iran’s Civil Defense Organization Brigadier General Gholamreza Jalali said that his country is in the process of cutting off internet access, launching instead a national network as the US re-imposed sanctions near in early November, in a move seen by observers that it comes within the Islamic Republic control of possible protests due to further deterioration of economic and living conditions. Last Update: Friday, 19 October 2018 KSA 19:24 - GMT 16:24

  • Arab News

    British woman detained in Malaysia, accused of killing husband

    KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia: Malaysian police said Friday that a British woman has been detained on the resort island of Langkawi for allegedly stabbing her husband to death. Langkawi police chief Supt. Mohamad Iqbal Ibrahim said investigators found a 12-inch-long kitchen knife stained with blood in the couple’s home where John William Jones, 62, was found dead Thursday. He said police were called to the scene after Samantha Jones, 51, asked her neighbor to call an ambulance but her husband was pronounced dead by medical officers. He said a stab wound was found on Jones’ chest and police have classified the case as murder. “She confessed that she stabbed her husband in the chest during a heated argument

  • Arab News

    Royals Harry and Meghan go barefoot on Bondi

    SYDNEY: British royals Harry and Meghan kicked off their shoes and donned tropical garlands Friday, as they hit Sydney’s famed Bondi beach for the latest stop on their Australian tour. Expectant Meghan donned a summer dress, putting aside her high heels, while Harry ditched his usual suit for chinos as the couple lapped up cheers from Australian fans and enjoyed Bondi’s surf. Pre-prepared signs screaming “G’day Harry and Meghan” greeted the royal couple, who have received a warm welcome from fans throughout the start of their 16-day pacific tour. While half of Australians oppose having British monarchs as head of state, and the vast majority of Australians have carried on with business as usual during the visit, there has been sizable support for the celebrity couple at every stop.

  • Al Jazeera

    Who is Ahmed al-Asiri, the sacked Saudi intelligence official?

    Major General Ahmed Al-Asiri was sacked as Saudi Arabia's deputy intelligence chief on Friday, Saudi state media reported. The announcement came as the kingdom's state media said the missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi had been killed in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, citing an official Saudi investigation. State media also reported King Salman ordered the restructuring of the command of the general intelligence agency, under the supervision of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS.) Asiri served as an adviser to bin Salman, who promoted him to his intelligence position last year, and is considered to be one of MBS' closest aides. He is "a key figure within the royal household, a very senior

  • Al Jazeera

    If Trump will not respond to Khashoggi killing, Congress might

    US President Donald Trump seemed prepared to accept Saudi Arabia's explanation that 60-year-old journalist Jamal Khashoggi became involved in a fist fight in the Saudi embassy in Istanbul and was accidentally killed. However, senators and representatives from Congress, including from the president's own party, are greeting the story with incredulity. With midterm congressional elections coming up, members of Congress have begun clamouring for the US to respond and are claiming that they are willing to act, if the president is not. Al Jazeera’s Patty Culhane reports.

  • english.alarabiya.net

    Iran’s chief prosecutor: Women watching half-naked men play soccer is sinful

    Iran’s Chief Prosecutor Mohammad Jafar Montazeri threatening officials who allow women to enter football stadiums has caused an uproar among Iranian activists. Montazeri, the powerful head of the country’s judiciary, claimed that women should be banned from going to stadiums because it is “sinful” for them to watch “half-naked men play soccer.” He added that action will be taken if they continue to go. Soccer stadiums have been off-limits for women for the past four decades in Iran, a ban that has divided Iran’s political establishment.