- Arab News
TEHRAN: Iran will "resolutely" abandon more commitments under a 2015 nuclear deal with world powers on July 7, Fars News Agency reported on Tuesday quoting a "note" from a top security official. Tehran had announced on May 8 that it was suspending two of its 2015 pledges and gave Europe, China and Russia a two-month ultimatum to help Iran circumvent US sanctions and sell its oil or it would abandon two more commitments. In response, France said that Iran would be making a "serious mistake" in violating the nuclear deal, which the US pulled out of last year. Iran also said on Tuesday that a US decision to impose sanctions on the country's supreme leader and other top officials permanently closed
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said he spoke to President Trump about the Iran drone attack during a briefing for congressional leaders at the White House today. "Now I told the President that these conflicts have a way of escalating. The President may not intend to go to war here, but we're worried that he and the administration may bumble into a war," Schumer told reporters. He continued: "We told the room that the Democratic position is that congressional approval must be required before funding any kind of conflict in Iran. One of the best ways to avoid bumbling into war, a war that nobody wants, is to have a robust, open debate and for Congress to have a real say. We learned that lesson
- Egypt Independent
In a press conference held on the sidelines of the Moroccan Mawazine Festival, Lebanese singer Myriam Fares made comments that stirred Egyptians' anger. When asked by one of the journalist conference attendees about not having performed in Egypt for an extended time, Fares said that before the Egyptian revolution she used to perform two or three concerts in Egypt every two weeks, and that post-revolution she stopped performing in the country as this was when she started to grow in her career. “At that time I grew in my career and honestly, as you know I am too honest, I grew, my fees have significantly risen and my demands became higher well, thus I became too much for Egypt,” she said. Directly after these comments were posted on social media, they were followed by a storm of intense controversy sparked by Egyptians, among whom were many celebrities who seriously criticized Fares and defended Egypt.
- Egypt Independent
Egyptian national football team manager Ehab Lehita confirmed reports that some Egyptian players harassed a fashion model on Instagram, but he saw that the issue was exaggerated. “They are not rumors… We spoke to them and Javier Aguirre also spoke with them after breakfast and told them to concentrate,” he said in a televised statement to Time Sport channel. An Egyptian-British fashion model named Merhan Keller uploaded photographs on Instagram of inappropriate messages from four players of Egypt's national team, accusing Amr Warda, Ayman Ashraf, Ahmed Hassan Mahgoub, and Mahmoud Hamdi of harassment before backtracking and denying Ashraf had sent her any messages. According to Identity-magazine,
The US ambassador to Saudi Arabia John Abizaid strongly condemned on Monday what he called the "cowardly attack" that targeted Abha International Airport. The Arab Coalition said on Sunday that the Iranian-backed Houthi militia launched an attack targeting Saudi Arabia's Abha International Airport.
- Al Jazeera
The 2019 BET Awards featured a number of contemporary pop and rap artists who have been dominating the charts. But the show, held in Los Angeles on Sunday night, belonged to the artists viewed as icons in the black community, including singer Mary J Blige, filmmaker Tyler Perry and the late rapper Nipsey Hussle. The BET Awards celebrate African Americans and other American minorities in music, acting, sports, and other fields of entertainment. Among the key moments was when Hussle, a respected and beloved community activist in South Los Angeles who was shot dead on March 31, posthumously earned the Humanitarian Award. "Nipsey is such an important part of our community, in particular the fact
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday denounced as “child-like” a map released by Iran that purported to show that a US drone entered its airspace in May. “You've seen that child-like map that Foreign Minister (Mohammad Javad) Zarif put out that contrasts with the excellence and professionalism of America's military and intelligence services,” Pompeo told reporters as he left on a trip to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.