• CNN

Iran shoots down US drone: Live updates

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said he spoke to President Trump about the Iran drone attack during a briefing for congressional leaders at the White House today. "Now I told the President that these conflicts have a way of escalating. The President may not intend to go to war here, but we're worried that he and the administration may bumble into a war," Schumer told reporters. He continued: "We told the room that the Democratic position is that congressional approval must be required before funding any kind of conflict in Iran. One of the best ways to avoid bumbling into war, a war that nobody wants, is to have a robust, open debate and for Congress to have a real say. We learned that lesson

• Egypt Independent

Egypt's national football team manager says harassment claims 'exaggerated'

Egyptian national football team manager Ehab Lehita confirmed reports that some Egyptian players harassed a fashion model on Instagram, but he saw that the issue was exaggerated. “They are not rumors… We spoke to them and Javier Aguirre also spoke with them after breakfast and told them to concentrate,” he said in a televised statement to Time Sport channel. An Egyptian-British fashion model named Merhan Keller uploaded photographs on Instagram of inappropriate messages from four players of Egypt's national team, accusing Amr Warda, Ayman Ashraf, Ahmed Hassan Mahgoub, and Mahmoud Hamdi of harassment before backtracking and denying Ashraf had sent her any messages. According to Identity-magazine,

• Arabian Business

Pompeo heads to Saudi Arabia, UAE for Iran crisis talks

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday he will visit Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates for talks on the crisis sparked by Iran's downing an American drone. "We'll be talking with them about how to make sure that we are all strategically aligned and how we can build out a global coalition" on Iran, he said. Iran shot down a US Global Hawk drone on Thursday, saying it had violated its airspace near the strategic Strait of Hormuz - a claim the United States denies. US President Donald Trump called off a planned retaliatory military strike Friday, saying the response would not have been "proportionate," with Tehran warning any attack would see Washington's interests across the Middle East go up in flames.

• Egypt Independent

Myriam Fares' controversial comments ignite Egyptian fury

In a press conference held on the sidelines of the Moroccan Mawazine Festival, Lebanese singer Myriam Fares made comments that stirred Egyptians' anger. When asked by one of the journalist conference attendees about not having performed in Egypt for an extended time, Fares said that before the Egyptian revolution she used to perform two or three concerts in Egypt every two weeks, and that post-revolution she stopped performing in the country as this was when she started to grow in her career. “At that time I grew in my career and honestly, as you know I am too honest, I grew, my fees have significantly risen and my demands became higher well, thus I became too much for Egypt,” she said. Directly after these comments were posted on social media, they were followed by a storm of intense controversy sparked by Egyptians, among whom were many celebrities who seriously criticized Fares and defended Egypt.

• Al Jazeera

BET Awards 2019: A list of winners and key moments

The 2019 BET Awards featured a number of contemporary pop and rap artists who have been dominating the charts. But the show, held in Los Angeles on Sunday night, belonged to the artists viewed as icons in the black community, including singer Mary J Blige, filmmaker Tyler Perry and the late rapper Nipsey Hussle. The BET Awards celebrate African Americans and other American minorities in music, acting, sports, and other fields of entertainment.  Among the key moments was when Hussle, a respected and beloved community activist in South Los Angeles who was shot dead on March 31, posthumously earned the Humanitarian Award. "Nipsey is such an important part of our community, in particular the fact

• Al Jazeera

'Obvious religious hatred': Muslim man in India lynched on video

Indian police say they have arrested 11 people over the torture of a Muslim man who later died of his wounds, in the latest suspected lynching in the country by Hindu vigilantes. A 10-minute video shows Tabrez Ansari, 24, being beaten by a group of men last week over accusations he had carried out a burglary in Kharsawan district, in Jharkhand state. Tied to a pole, Ansari is also forced to shout "Jai Shri Ram" (Hail Lord Ram), a slogan increasingly used by Hindu far right groups, according to the footage, which has gone viral. Kartik S, a local police chief, told the AFP news agency that two police officers have also been suspended over the handling of the lynching of Ansari. The villagers beat

• Emirates24|7

Mohamed bin Zayed honours Emirati heroes of national duty

His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, today honoured a number of Emirati heroes of national duty in recognition of their significant efforts to advance humanitarian work. Lt. General Hamad Mohammed Thani Al Rumaithi, Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces, attended the ceremony which took place at Qasr Al Bahr Majlis. His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed expressed his and Emirati people's pride of the officers, who, he affirmed, represent the nation's protective shields, noting that they embody the values and meanings of loyalty and belonging to their country. His Highness Sheikh Mohamed gave the Second Class